Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Paavoharju




It has been awhile since I have listened to something new that has really grabbed me. Paavoharju's new album Laulu Laakson Kukista has successfully done it.

My first love was the dance-y tune Kevätrumpu and now I can't stop listening to the more mellow, less user friendly Italialaisella Laivella.

G2 and I just had a conversation as to how to classify the music. He says psychadelic/ambient. I think that is bullshit because never in history has there been anything classifiable as psychadelic that I have enjoyed. I think it is more folk-y and experimental.

It is like a beautiful fantastic little cake that is equal parts 80s Ofra Haza, Max Richter, Boards of Canada and contagious love.

Pitchfork describes it as
"scattering Europop, pastel electronics, and woolen drones like a tossed deck of Bicycle playing cards." Sounds about right...

I have been on a crazy Scandinavian kick lately with Swedish Lykke Li, Finnish Lau Nau, and now this.

Pitchfork Review

Album of the week at Boomkat.

download:
Kevätrumpu

Video



No comments:

var linkwithin_site_id = 113048; Related Posts with Thumbnails